The Christian's Aim: The Glory Of God


Wednesday,
September 14, 2016

Read:
Matthew 6:9.11

The
Christian's
Aim: The
Glory Of
God

 The Lord taught us to pray with this "model
prayer." In it, we are taught to give praise
and honor unto our Heavenly Father before we
ask for anything we need. Then,after giving
praise to our Father, we are to pray for His
will to be done, and then we can ask for our
needs. ("After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be
thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done
in earth, as it is in heaven.") But, before the
prayer is ended, we are to return to the refrain
about the will of God and the glory of God,
for we close the prayer by ascribing unto God,
"the kingdom, and the power, and"the glory."

Far too often I go to God in prayer with my list
made out of things I want God to do for me. 
If I am not careful, I enter into prayer like I'm going
through.the drive-thru at a fast-food restaurant-I'm placing my
order! That is NOT the way Christ taught us to pray. Read Christ's
prayer In Matthew 26:39 and 42,Mark 14:3S-36, ind,even in John
12.:27-28, and you will see that His prayer was that the will of God
might be done and that God's name would be glorified. If this is
the prayer of Christ--it should be the prayer of the Christian. Can
we pray like Thomas Watson, the famed theologian of the seventeenth
century England, when he said, "We aim at God's glory when we
are content that God's will should take place, thou[h it may cross
ours. Lord, I am content to be a loser, if Thou be a gainer; to have
less_health, if I have more grace, and Thou more glory. Let it be
food or bitter [medicine], if Thou givest it [to] me. Lord,I desire
that which may be most for Thy glory."


Dr. Farrell Shepherd, Island Ford Baptist Church, Madisonville, Ky
Today's Through the Bible Reading Proverbs 25,26,27, 2 Corinthians 6